dwgwpd home
dec home > dwgwpd home > property owners > regional offices

Regional Office Programs


Please take the DEC Web Survey - Chance to Win a State Parks Pass! - click here to take survey
Chance to Win a
Free State Parks Pass!
Take the DEC Web Survey


The Regional Office Program issues water/wastewater permits (WW Permits) for soil based wastewater systems with flows of less than 6500 gallons per day, for potable water supplies (water supplies that are not public water supplies), and for municipal water and sewer connections. Permitting staff are located in five Regional Offices. Staff also administers the licensed designer program and reviews innovative and alternative systems for potential use in VT.  

The regional offices map provides office, program and contact information for each region.



Financial assistance is also available to homeowners who need to replace their water or wastewater supply.



Be Septic Smart!

EPA hosted the second annual SepticSmart Week to encourage homeowners and communities to care for and maintain their septic or advanced treatment systems, specifically to reduce the impacts on water quality.  Most of the nations’ homes that use septic or advanced treatment systems for wastewater treatment also receive their water from a private well.  Many of these same homes are in ecologically sensitive areas where regular maintenance and/or system replacement (for failure or upgrade) is necessary to protect the health of the public, rivers, lakes, groundwater, and shorelines from pathogens and excess nutrient loadings.  EPA is working harder than ever with the state agencies and their partners to educate about the need for proper use and maintenance of septic or advanced treatment systems.

For more information go to the SepticSmart website, www.epa.gov/septicsmart or click on Septic Smart Sam below.     


        SepticSmart Week - Sept. 22-26, 2014


A Homeowner's Guide to Septic Systems

Do's and Don'ts of your Septic System

Proper Landscaping On and Around Your Septic System

Septic Smart Do's and Don'ts for an Advanced Treatment Unit (ATU)



Homeowner Guidance on Cleaning Up after Residential Sanitary Sewer Backups

Installation Certification of Wastewater and Potable Water Supplies

On-site Loan Program

Shoreland Protection Act

Standard Procedures for Cleaning Up Domestic Wastewater Spills Inside Buildings

Wellowner.org - Informing consumers about groundwater & water wells

What is a wastewater system?


July 2014 Regional Office newsletter

April 2014 Regional Office newsletter

January 2014 Regional Office newsletter

November 2013 Regional Office newsletter


All rules governing the regional office program are found on one page.    

Water Supply Rule (link to page)


Search for a Division-issued permit for wastewater and water system

Applications for water/wastewater permits are located together along with a fee schedule, fee definition document and fee guidance document, and procedure for who may sign a permit application. Permits require a qualified licensed designer to design the water or wastewater system.

Importance of Understanding Your Regional Office Permit      

Vermont Permit Handbook


Guidance, practices and procedures help applicants navigate the Regional Offices program. Archived guidance documents, including rules, are also found here.


Innovative and Alternative wastewater products are approved by the program. Prior to January 1, 2014 Innovative and Alternative permits with annual inspection and maintenance requirements required that a vendor approved licensed designer or professional engineer oversee the inspections and maintenance.  Beginning January 1, 2014 the State of Vermont will allow permit holders to utilize vendor approved service providers as well as vendor approved licensed designers and professional engineers to oversee the inspections. This simplification should reduce costs to homeowners and simplify the inspection/maintenance compliance process.


The Regional Office program receives guidance on the technical issues of the Rules from the Technical Advisory Committee which is appointed by the Governor. Information on the scheduled meetings and meeting minutes can be found on the TAC page.


Click on this link for information on Municipal Connections


Municipalities may receive permission to administer the WW permit program, called Municipal Delegation.


Household water well owners encouraged to use help hotline

Household well owners with questions about their water well system, water quality, or well construction can contact an information hotline operated by the National Ground Water Association at 855-420-9355 (855-H20-WELL). The Private Well Owner Hotline operating hours are Monday through Friday, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Eastern Time, except national holidays.

For more information go to the National Ground Water Association website.

Are you purchasing or selling a property with an onsite well? You should read information regarding a law that was enacted during the 2011-12 legislative concerning testing of private water supplies. You can also find information about your private water supply (onsite well) from the Vermont Department of Health private well section.

Commercial Kitchen Do's & Dont's by NOWRA

Restaurant Owners 12 Simple Ways to Protect Your Septic System

High Strength Wastewater Considerations Outreach Document

Items to Avoid in an Onsite Sewage System

Water Well Flooding - What Do You Do


Regional office map

Vermont Regional Offices Click here for Essex Regional Office Information click here for Rutland Regional Office information click here for Springfield Regional Office information click here for Barre Regional Office information click here for St. Johnsbury Regional office information click here for Essex Regional Office information click here for Rutland Regional Office information click here for St. Johnsbury Regional Office information click here for Barre Regional Office information click here for Springfield Regional Office information



drinkingwater.vermont.gov   groundwater.vermont.gov   septic.vermont.gov wastewater.vermont.gov
VT DEC Drinking Water and Groundwater Protection Division 1 National Life Drive, Main Building, 2nd Floor  Montpelier, VT  05620-3521
Telephone toll-free in VT: 800-823-6500 or call 802-241-3400    Fax: 802-828-1541


State of Vermont Agencies & Depts.     Access Government 24/7     About Vermont.Gov     Privacy Policy

A Vermont Government Website Copyright 2004 State of Vermont - All rights reserved